Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rating the 'cue ...the 'Real' way

When I started this blog, I figured I'd do a few things with it. I'd use it to chronicle my journeys and post pics from bbq joints and festivals; post random thoughts, news articles and books on bbq, and post my thoughts/reviews on bbq ...and invite others to join in the conversation with thier pics, comments,etc.
So let me start with a basis for my bbq ratings ....which starts with a bit of a book review

I've got alot of books on barbecue. One of my favourites is "Real Barbecue: The Classic Barbecue Guide to the Best Joints Across the USA" by Vince Staten & Greg Johnson. It's an older book (published in 1988), but it's kind of the template for a lot of bbq books that have come out recently.


It covers the subject of bbq in America pretty thouroughly. Part road map with a cross country tour of 'cue joints, part cookbook of recipes, part history book with pics and 'porklore' added. It's a pretty cool book but one of the best things I liked about it was it's rating system.They don't use stars. they don't use a 1-10 rating scale, they don't use grades. Instead the use a 'conversation' scale as though you heard it from someone recommending it to you.

For example, a bbq joint that is:
- fair to middling would be rated "Pretty good"
- one step up doing a respectable job would be rated "Good"
- above that, a special place worth the drive & wait is "Real Good"
- the pinnacle of greatness is "As Good As I've Ever Had"

So, as I post my bbq reviews of joints I've tried, I'll stay true to this 'word of mouth' type rating systen as my bottom line review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to
say that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

Also visit my web site: myconvertiblelife.blogspot.com